bleeding_ears

It happens at work.  You pass by someone in the halls, or on the way to your desk.  They’re humming something to themselves and you can’t make it out until you get close… and then immediately you have to resist the urge to punch them in the face because they’re singing THAT song.  The one that you won’t be able to wrestle out of your head for weeks. The one that will make you gradually lose all sense of sanity until you’re brainlessly writhing on the floor humming the same tune over and over to yourself, ready for the straightjacket.  THAT song.

One of my great achievements in high school was consistently getting Disney songs burrowed in my best friend Adam’s head.  I had first period with him, and second period he sat amidst a coven of babes, so every morning I’d sing “Beauty and the Beast”, “Part of Your World” or “A Whole New World” – and then wait for him to howl at me at lunch, for getting hostile looks from the ladies.  The excruciating power of bad music is awesome.

Here are my top ten “Damn You, Why Did You Infect Me with that Song you Soulless Bastard?!” songs.  Please add your own in the comments, or tell me which one you’re still humming days later.

Godspeed.  I pray for your souls.

(You’ll also notice that Mama never taught me to count- the list grew in the writing…)

15.  That’s Not My Name – The Ting Tings

I still have this song stuck in my head.  My roommate almost threw me out the window this morning- I’ve been singing it nonstop for three days, and now so is he.  Maybe it should be higher on the list.

14. Centaur

AGGH THIS SONG! The issue isn’t just that the chorus stays in my head for weeks – it’s that every time I see a fat-bottomed girl I start singing “That girl is a centaur…” in my head – and it takes me another month to get it out again. (Still less annoying than the beginning to Baby Got Back though.)

13.  Hey Mickey

Everytime this one’s buried in my head, I can’t get Cheerleader Uniform Toni Basil out of my head either.  Double failsies… [The actual vid's not on YouTube! Well, this is pretty amazing...]

12.  Blue

This song never left my brainspace until it was off the radio for three years.  I’ll admit that this one’s a guilty pleasure for me… to a point.  Also, try playing this song on an acoustic guitar- it’s surprisingly beautiful.

11.  Peanut Butter Jelly Time

Hilarious for fifteen seconds.  Suicide-inducing for the rest of your life.  A pox on thee, Buckwheat Boyz – a pox on thee!

10.  Tub Thumping

Another guilty pleasure, though it’s as infectious as they get.  Many a night was pissed away humming this song… [This live video makes it especially hateful...]

9.  Yellow Submarine

When I was a teacher, a different handful of students would hum this every day.  It’s as if their parents would lock them in their rooms and play it on repeat until their ears bled.  I know mine did.

8.  It’s a Small World

We’ve officially entered the “It’s Morally Acceptable For You to Clothesline Anyone Humming This Song” phase.  This is the first serious offender, and every one after this makes my blood boil.  And people don’t think Disney is the devil….

7.  Closing Time

I know who I want to take me home- Semisonic.  So I can set their houses on fire and perform unnecessary surgery to rid the singer of his voice box.  This song’s release should be on our world’s timeline as Greatest Disaster Since the Black Plague.

6.  I Believe I Can Fly

This might have been #1 on another day.  My hatred for this song knows no bounds.  What makes it even worse is that a good 65% of people find this song inspiring.  100% of those people also find Chicken Soup For the Soul inspiring.  100% of those people need to rethink their lives.

5.  Cotten Eyed Joe

Where do you even begin with this egregious travesty?  Techno plus redneck plus an electro-fiddle.  I almost have to give them credit- this is truly a masterpiece- they perfectly captured what dragging fingernails on a chalkboard sounds like if you extended it into a song.  Bravo, guys.  Bra.Vo.

4.  Hamster Dance

This song is why therapy was invented.

3.  Song That Never Ends

Damn you, Lambchop!  I’d rather your show incite World War III than serve this song up.  It’s rattled around in my head every day since I was a kid.  I carry it with me like a war wound.  I doubt it’ll ever leave.

2.  Surfin Bird

Family Guy got this one so right.  Look up ‘anathema’ in the dictionary, and you’ll find this song playing (provided you have one of those sweet dictionary that plays music).

1.  One Week

My friends know the level of hatred I have for Barenaked Ladies.  It really knows no bounds.  Every time a BNL song comes on my ears become engulfed in flames, anvils start falling on me from the sky, and a phantom hand plucks out my soul and sticks it in a blender.  And then the real torture begins.  Rather than rant and rave for days about these guys, just take a listen to this song.  I think you’ll agree- BNL should be Public Enemy #1.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Dragostea Din Tei (Numa Numa Song)

You NEED to see the original Euro-tastic video.  This is truly a Eurogasm.

Work a Twist

You’ve never heard this song before.  Now you’ll wish you were still a virgin.

Can’t Get You Out of My Head

I suck for loving this song and video so much.  This is for all the haters.

Unskinny Bop

America.  Fuck yeah.

Got My Mind Set On You

Weird Al understood the power of this song.

Comments
110 Responses to “Top Ten Catchiest, Most Annoying Songs (That Burrow Into Your Brains and Make You Want to Die)”
  1. OctavB says:

Last proposal: Rihanna – Only girl. It’s getting me CRAAAAZYYY ! It’s sound like a despaired woman. Very annoying song…

2. music geek says:

I can’t even believe Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice was left off this list, that song will be stuck in your head just cuz I wrote it. or how about Fish Heads Fish Heads Rolly polly Fish heads…I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more …..oops I did it again….tell me what you want what you really really want.. there truly are soooo many.

3. Matt says:

Daggmask Dreamnation.
    Any song on any anime show.
    itsy bitsy spider.

4. Dante says:

Have you heard “The Line Keeps Repeating” by Sum of Squares?

The link is:

5. colacold2 says:

friday isn’t one of them because

6. NOMNOMNOM says:

sorry, but this list is ALL WRONG….

this list is coming from the most unrelated off topic and creeping nothing-has-a-meaning songs on youtube….

FOR ME ITS

1. Nyan cat extended 3 hour 1/2 version
    2. fuzzy fuzzy cute, by parry gripp
    3. nom nom nom by parry gripp
    4. baby by justin bieber
    5. you spin me round (like a record) by dead or alive

7. NOMNOMNOM says:

well actually, ,i agree with some of them, like blue da ba dee……

yup

8. I’m all outa love – Air Supply

WORST SONG EVER!

9. Haylz says:

Friday by rebecca black pisses the shit out of me!!!

10. Trauma Queen says:

how could you leave out the cuppycake song – ugh it makes me HOMICIDAL!

11. Rhanni says:

heh. my mate bryn and i cannot get They’re Coming To Take Me Away out of our heads. We’re constantly singing it. Now I’ve got to make an even catchier cd to get the songs on the last one out of heads then another…

12. Krystal says:

HEY SURFIN BIRD IS FREAKING AMAZING!!!! ASK PETER GRIFFIN…. he’s my bff yah know

13. Uh? says:

OMG why isn’t “Friday” on the list? You’re so wrong, nobody heard those songs you mentioned except “Da Ba Dee”! GRRRRRRRRRRRR

14. Vivian says:

Dude. That’s sad. I’m only 16 and I’ve heard every single one of those songs. The only ones I find annoying are song that never ends and it’s a small world. I’d have to say the most annoying song I’ve ever heard is smack that by akon. That song never leaves your head.

15. drano says:

I have to say that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184&feature=related is probably more annoying than all of those, reason being that Family Guy made that viral, and it has been constantly been repeated. Just my thoughts.

16. PsychoLEPrecon says:

This as probably already been pointed out, but the Hamster Dance song is just a spinoff of Cotton Eyed Joe, just saying. What I find more annoying (and when I say annoying I mean I enjoy the hell out of them) Are songs that tend to repeat themselves, or have absolutely no meeting whatsoever. (For examples search Poptart cat, this is sparta etc…)

17. Jarvis says:

what about who let the dogs out?!?

18. marc says:

can’t believe never gonna give you up by rick astley isn’t on here

19. davros says:

How does the god-awful “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston not make the list?

20. Elena says:

Ugh. Anything by Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga gets stuck in my head.

21. sosj says:

What about Istanbul not Constantinople by they might be giants

22. Sentry says:

500 miles by The Proclaimers. Try getting that out of your head.

23. Jordan says:

Life is a highway by rascal flats MOST ANNOYING

24. bob says:

mine are

forgotten :D

25. Riana says:

Janet Jackson – Together again. Most boring piece of music on earth.

26. hyperhippy92 says:

What about AFS by MadHatter? Everyone knows that Bubble Bobble had one of the most annoying songs ever, and MadHatter proved a point there

27. Kasparov says:

I do not understand why this song isn’t on this list.

28. Anonymous says:

If you really want a catchy song, try that one from the Romeo and Juliet movie, the 1962 version I believe. The song is called What is a Youth.

29. Anonymous says:

Here are a few more that can get stuck in my head for days on end:
    Hot Butter – Popcorn
    Queen – We Are the Champions
    The Coasters – Poison Ivy
    Bobby Helms – You Are My Special Angel
    Nat King Cole – Too Young
    Tiny Tim – Tiptoe Through the Tulips
    Simon & Garfunkel – Mrs. Robinson
    Lil Wayne – Luxury Tax
    Country Shit remix ft. Ludacris
    Oh, and practically everything by Tom Chapin! If you haven’t heard of him, stay a virgin!

30. Loony says:

Dont forget the Gummy Bear Song…

;)

31. emma says:

How about this: “ooh eee ooh aah aah, ting tang walla walla bing bang, ooh eee ooh aah aah ting tang walla walla bang bang!”

try to get THAT out of your head!

32. Colin says:

Good list! Also how about every dance-rave song ever played. Fine, think what you want about them during ACTUALLY dances, but when you have have neighbor who blares the “music” so loud you can hear it clearly through a concrete wall…believe me, you’ll find it incredibly annoying very quickly.

33. JustAGuest says:

‘Iko Iko’ , originally by James Crawford in 1953 and sung again by the Dixie Cups in 1964 is something I can’t get out of my head. Originally it was some kind of Mardi Gras indian chant.

34. JayJay says:

I LOVE ONE WEEK BY BnL!! They are the bomb diggidy! I agee with the rest but One Week is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

??Bnl ??

35. Maja says:

you forgot :

I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Nathan says:

i hate you bnl is the greatest band ever

37. Nick says:

Chumbawumba,semisonic & BNL are not annoying bands Atall.

38. the sasquatch says:

How did mmm bop by hanson not make the list

39. LISANN says:

REALLY? AIR SUPPLY, WHITNEY HOUSTON, AND RASCAL FLATTS. ARE YOU STUPID? ALL OUT OF LOVE, I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU, AND LIFE IS A HWY ARE ALL GREAT SONGS. ALSO IT SD SONGS THAT ARE CATCHY AND GET IN YOUR BRAIN. GOOD EXAMPLES WERE IT’S A SMALL WORLD, OR WHAT ABOUT THE THONG SONG, AND MANY OTHERS. THE PERSON WHO SD THE LIST IS ALL WRONG IS CORRECT. UNSKINNY BOP IS A GOOD SONG, SO IS THE COTTON EYED JOE AND I BELIEVE I CAN FLY. IT’S SONGS THAT REPEAT AND REPEAT OVER & OVER & OVER, ALSO WHY IS EVERYONE SO DAMN HARD ON REBECCA BLACK, MAYBE A LITTLE BIT OF JEALOUSY THAT SHE HAS THE NERVE TO DO WHAT SHE’S DOING. DAMN GIVE HER A BREAK. I DO AGREE ALL JUSTIN BIEBER SONGS AND I WILL ALSO ADD BRITTANY SPEARS, YOU KNOW, OOOPS I DID IT AGAIN. THAT’S ANNOYING.

40. G says:

I was expecting more songs like these:
    - Minny Ripperton – Lovin’ you
    - Kate Bush – Wuthering heights

Also:
    The Spy Dakis – Monsieur Cannibal (From Dutch themepark “De Efteling”)

41. stop the drips! says:

How about: ‘Drip Drip Drop Little April Showers” (From Bambi movie)?
    Try not to sing that over & over & over. My daughter & I call each other
    & play the song (or let it play on voice mail) and hang up…. Just for s & g.

42. gail says:

what about call me maybe?

43. mymy says:

what about U CANT TOUCH THIS!? Thats one of the worst songs ive ever heard!! they played it on radio one , two weeks ago and its still in my head

44. mymy says:

NOT CALL ME MAYBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON’T DIS TAYLOR SWIFT K?? THATS A CATCHY SONG NOT ANNOYING

45. Anonymous says:

SERIOUSLY!!?? NO BARBIE GIRL??!

46. Anonymous says:

I don’t see Gangnam Style…..? I mean, it’s catchy! But I’ve had it in my head for MONTHS!!

47. Anonymous says:

Don’t Stop the Party by Pitbull, anyone? Anyone!?

48. sinbob1 says:

wild thing

49. Kapnismologist says:

Really? you forgot the most annoying song on the planet! It’s effing country, “Achy Breaky Heart” by Billy Ray Cyrus. Cats fu**ing sound better.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...